Fritto Misto with Calamari and Lemons
2 quarts olive oil or vegetable oil for frying
2 lbs calamari, cleaned and drained
4 lemons, 2 sliced 1/4″ thick and 2 cut into wedges
2 cups corn starch
1 Tbsp salt
Salt and Pepper, as needed
• Pour the oil into a deep pan or fryer. Using a basket or strainer for frying. Heat oil to 360-375 degrees F.
• In a large bowl, mix 1/2 calamari and 1/2 lemon slices with 1 cup cornstarch and salt, toss with your hands.
• Place mixture into the basket, shaking off any excess corn starch and fry for 1 minute or until golden brown.
• Remove from the fryer and place on a paper towel lined platter and season with salt.
• Immediately repeat the same process for the remaining calamari and lemons.
• Serve with lemon wedges.
Recipe courtesy of Ashley Hubbard